Carel: leaders for more than 30 years in control and humidification systems for HVAC/R applications. Innovation, experience and technological development applied to air handling units.
Air handling unit applications feature a very wide variety of system types, with differing degrees of specificity. CAREL can supply solutions for all installations, whatever their complexity: modular and extensively configurable controllers, wide range of humidifiers and accessories, system supervision tools to ensure reliability and maximum energy saving. The system approach is combined with software flexibility, through the standard AHU application that is completely customisable using 1tool.
The CAREL offering for controlling AHUs provides OEMs, Installers and Customers numerous benefits:
- Controllers featuring I/O chip technology means up to 10 channels can be configured as digital/analogue inputs or analogue outputs, so as to connect all types of probes and actuators for AHUs (inverter, dampers, humidifiers, etc.)
- Up to 7 communication ports to interface via the most commonly-used protocols across local or BMS networks to devices featuring serial communication capability
- Various programmable displays for all performance, price and appearance requirements, featuring intuitive interfaces packed with information
- Full backward compatibility with the pCO3/pCO5 range, to protect the investments and know how of CAREL’s customers
- CAREL’s experience in managing direct and indirect adiabatic humidification for air cooling, with consequent advantages in terms of energy saving
- Global monitoring and supervision systems for managing information and optimising the performance of complete installations
- Development of dedicated electrical panels, integrating the power and control electronics, implementing high quality solutions in compliance with system requirements and standards in force.
Standard AHU control application.
This software solution incorporates all of CAREL’s know how in the management of such complex systems as air handling units. The type of AHU to be controlled is not identified based on selecting pre-configured units, but rather the actual devices installed on the AHU and then setting their parameters. The position of each I/O can be chosen, then making changes on site during installation. Configuration is made simple by an extremely intuitive and customisable user interface: only the required parameters relating to the functions that have been enabled are shown on the screens.
- Up to 6 serial probes over RS485 Modbus
- Integration of fan inverters via serial
- BMS options for interfacing via the most common supervision protocols
- Integrated MP Bus® solution for controlling Belimo serial actuators
Management of main AHU functions
- Various models of ON/OFF and modulating fans
- Control of ON/OFF and modulating dampers
- Control of cooling and heating operation using PID algorithms with coil management
- Freecooling/freeheating based on temperature and enthalpy
- Management of heat recovery units
- Cascade control of different devices
- Humidity control with dehumidification and isothermal/adiabatic humidification
- Alarm management with log
- Management of up to 4 time bands per day, plus management of days of the week and special days
- 4 generic control loops available for additional functions
By using 1tool, the development environment for CAREL controllers programmable, customers can access a library of fully configurable standard modules and use these to perfect control of the main components in the system or integrate additional devices.